Saturday, November 26, 2011

Obama Style

Overgeneralized Alma Fact Number 230984: Americans are sloppy dressers.

Example: American citizens are the easiest people to spot in airports around the world. While in American culture comfort is key, the rest of the world sees traveling as an important time to show off your stuff. It makes sense: you’re making a lot of first impressions—sweatpants and a hoddie don’t translate to anything impressive, in any language.

Not long after President Obama swore in, a New York Times article described the controversy surrounding the ‘casual’ makeover the White House was getting, particularly as it related to the President’s attire. I remember thinking the attention was ridiculous. As far as I know, coats and ties have no magical powers to fix the economy or stop terrorism. If wearing sandals and Bermuda shirts help Obama concentrate, that’s fine by me. 

Well, it turns out New York Times reporters are not the only ones paying attention to what the leader of the free world wears to work.

Rwandans are very formal dressers. They are particularly serious about their shoes, which are always perfectly polished, no matter how much mud and dirt they've tracked through. My outfits are scrutinized on a daily basis for spots, holes, and ironing (or lack there of). Mama Fils has given up reminding me that my shoes are muddy.

I recently acquired a cute pair of khaki pants, courtesy of an unknown Peace Corps Volunteer who left them in the volunteer grab box. The pants are perfect for Rwanda: they look nice (I think), they're dark (to hide dirt), with pockets (for my phone and hand sanitizer), not too light but not too heavy (perfect for the consistently changing weather patterns). Best of all, these pants have special buttons so they can be rolled into capris, ideal for the many rainy days that turn the bottoms of my pants into mud sponges.

When I showed up to work wearing my stylish-yet-practical “new” pants I was expecting complements. Instead, Mama Fils gave me a good up-down and asked “Alma! Are you going to farm?!”. I didn’t understand. “Why are your pants rolled up? It’s ugly, it’s not correct.”

It should be no surprise that my attempts to explain capri pants failed miserably. Fashion isn’t my thing. Just as I started to unroll the pants and make them acceptable for my counterpart, a young hospital nurse came over and complimented my outfit. I laughed and explained to Claudine that Mama Fils disagreed. The two women began a heated argument about the legitimacy of my outfit. Much to my surprise, Claudine won and Mama Fils agreed I might have some sense of style after all.

Claudine’s winning argument? Well, Alma is just following Obama’s style of course! The man roles up his sleeves; his countrymen role up their pants.
Sporting Rwandan Style Festive Attire at a Wedding in Kigali

No comments:

Post a Comment