Thursday, May 24, 2012

MILK IT

A few weeks ago, the “got milk?” campaigns of my childhood came back to me as my counterpart and I discussed one of our malnutrition patients who had recently shown rapid improvement. For almost six weeks the patient in question gained no weight, and some weeks even lost weight despite a generous ration of Plumpy’nut. Then, within three weeks he was completely healthy, even plump! I asked my counterpart to what the drastic improvement was due, and she replied with a smile: “His family got a cow! Now he drinks milk every day.” I felt like I had discovered the golden elixir. Milk! We need to give all the children milk!


So, when I later read about the Government’s pledge to eliminate malnutrition and the various programs in place to do so, I seized the opportunity. In his press conference, the Prime Minister mentioned various milking drinking programs for children, including district milk drinking days.

It has been my experience that with many social development programs in sub-Saharan Africa (particularly those designed at the international and national level); resources are often given to people with long job titles but seldom used to benefit the average-child-living-on-less-than-$2-whose-picture-you-saw-on-a-UNICEF-board-and-who-you-hoped-your-donation-would-help. Could the milk initiatives fall into this trap?


The next day, I went to the local sector government office to visit a good friend with mandate over my Health Center. I asked this personal casually if my Health Center had any cows. Had I asked this question deliberately, knowing the answer, and knowing where the milk was going? Was this the first step in a plan others (concerned about corruption and malnutrition) had engineered, and I had eagerly agreed to help? How absurd! I am a silly white girl who understands next to nothing…


My friend responded energetically. Of course the health center had cows, had I not seen them? Was I not giving milk to children in the malnutrition program? Well no, this was the first I heard about cows, but I would very much like to give milk to children. I TOLD HIM! I TOLD HIM TWO MONTHS AGO TO STOP TAKING THE MILK! HE’S STEALING THE MILK! The outrage in the government official’s response was incredible.


The following day, I was called into the sector office by said government official. While I waited, I heard screaming in the adjacent room. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? I TOLD YOU! THAT MILK IS FOR POOR PEOPLE! CHILDREN! GIVE THE MILK TO THE CHILDREN!


My heart was pounding. A few minutes later, the government official stormed back into his office and looked straight at the nutritionist, who had also been called in. YOU WILL MAKE SURE THE CHILDREN RECEIVE MILK! I WANT WEEKLY REPORTS!
To be continued…

1 comment: