Sunday, December 19, 2010

Foreign Languages


Speaking a second language in the United States is an accomplishment. In the rest of the world it is norm. I cannot emphasize how important I think it is for everyone to work on learning another language. 
My Hausa language trainers speak to each other in a hilarious mix of Hausa/French/Zarma/English… sometimes with some Fulani and other West African languages mixed in. The fluidness with which they speak is beautiful and inspires me to continue learning more languages.
Most Nigeriens speak either Hausa or Zarma (in cities most adults I run into speak both, and then some). Anyone who attends school also learns French, the official language. For those who reach eighth grade, English is also mandatory.
When I walk down the street, I am constantly greeted by children who yell, “Fofo!” (the standard Zarma greeting). After I respond, “Fofo!” they continue “Comment tu t’appelles?”. After exchanging names in French, some of the older kids will ask me, in English, “How are you?”. The conversation generally ends in Hausa, “sai anjima!” – see you later! 
Most of my stage is pretty sick of this back and forth that occurs every time we're on the street, but I continue to find it hilarious. Plus, I feel like a celebrity walking through town now because all the kids now my name!  

1 comment:

  1. Nicholas Kristof agrees with me! I highly recommend this article-- http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/opinion/30kristof.html?ref=opinion

    ReplyDelete