Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dabobi (Animals in Niger)


So a lot of friends and family have been asking me questions about animals. No I have not seen any zebras, giraffes, lions, cheetahs, or hippos. Chances are I will not see most of these animals, with the exception of giraffes—Niger has some of the last wild herds of giraffes in the world.  (Please take this link as an invitation to come visit me and the giraffes in Niger).
I have seen a lot of animals here that I would not expect to see. Most notably, and recently: hedgehogs.
Yesterday morning I was getting dressed in my hut and I thought I heard a scuffle behind the dresser. I figured it was probably a lizard, because “they’re like squirrels here!” PC Niger Country Director Valier told us on the first day. But, after some snooping, I realized in fact there was a small prickly animal curled in a ball.
I ran out to tell Shelly, but when I brought her back to the spot where I had seen our new friend, he was gone. Figuring the issue was resolved, we went about our day. Later in the afternoon, I picked up my backpack and low and behold: the hedgehog was back! This time I screamed. I’m not sure why. I know hedgehogs are harmless, I know there are much more terrifying animals in Niger. Still, I screamed and ran.
My neighbor sister Namnouri laughed hysterically and within three minutes had picked the hedgehog up, posed for pictures with it, and moved it to perhaps a more welcoming environment (aka the street). 

Other animals I see on a regular basis in Niger: donkeys, horses, goats, sheep (these two are surprisingly difficult to tell apart), chickens, roosters (very annoying), guinea foul, and lots of cows. In case you were wondering, I really like Niger.

No comments:

Post a Comment