Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hilariousness


--Overheard at the health center: "Alma, why don't you take one of the mosquito nets for pregnant women? The mosquitoes are really getting at your face!" Unfortunately I have yet to find the word for pimple in Kinyarwanda. 

--Overheard at the market: “Alma, are you a nun? We must find you a husband immediately! We will find you a Rwandan husband in no time!”

--Overheard at the bread store/tea shop: “You are American! Take me to America! I know the visa is complicated, but you can marry me, it will be no problem!
 
--Responses to “If you want to marry me, you must give my father 600 cows” have included:
  • Your father is crazy. 
  • Only President Kagame has that many cows.
  • I have 800 cows. Call your father. 
  • They have cows in America?
  • How many children does your father have? Only three?! No sons?! He cannot ask for so much!
  • My favorite: And how many cows did your father give when he married your mother?

--The Kinyarwanda expression for someone who is courting/dating: umuhinzi. Also means farmer or farming. In Rwanda you are not a player, rather, you are a farmer.
 
--I milked a cow. It was amazing. Also really hard, but amazing. I can die happy now.


Other miscellaneous:
Check out my amazing and talented sister Daniela dance Swan Lake!

1 comment:

  1. soooooo i am in my regional capital at the hostel, reading your most recent post, crying, like legit tearssss. i am laughing so hard. all those responses for the 600 cows comment??? haaaaa i loooooveeee them. miss youuuuu alma boo.

    ReplyDelete