Saturday, April 2, 2011

Motorcycle Rides in Africa


Blog post disclaimer intended for Mama, Papa, other adults who care about my safety, and Peace Corps Administration who might read this blog—please note that during each motorcycle ride I have made sure my Peace Corps issued helmet has been securely fastened, and that I have seriously examined the motorcycle, driver, and road to the best of my abilities before beginning my ride.


In my limited experience, riding a motorcycle on a non-paved road in Africa is amazing. And terrifying. It is terrifyingly amazing and amazingly terrifying.  I highly recommend it. 
A couple days after arriving at site I was given the opportunity to go “into the field” and talk with some of the Community Health Workers (CHWs) in the area. Since the CHWs lived in what was not considered walking distance from the health center, I got to ride on the back of a motorcycle!
Silly me, I thought I had conquered this business of riding motorcycles in Africa. False. Completely false.
Now if you’re trying to get a mental image of me on the back of a motorcycle in rural Rwanda, please keep in mind that this country is known as the land of a thousand hills, and it’s not an exaggeration.
Down we went. And up we went. And down again. Side to side. These directions describe both the “road” I was on, and my ass. Amazingly terrifying, terrifyingly amazing. The term adrenaline junkie suddenly makes so much more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment