Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mid-Service & PEPFAR Conference


Seven days after arriving at my site, I left for a Mid-Service Volunteer Conference. At this point I think it’s fair to say my Peace Corps timeline is not traditional.
Things that were awesome about MSC:

  • SOULEYMAN! My APCD from Niger is in Rwanda! He’s helping the Peace Corps Rwanda team with their health program and also with the training program. It was so absolutely wonderful to see him, and even practice Hausa kadan, kadan.

View of Lake Kivu from the Guest House
  • Lake Kivu. The guesthouse where I stayed had incredible views of Lake Kivu and D.R. Congo. Incredible sunsets!

  • Nyungwe Rainforest. The bus I took to get to Cyangugu, where the conference was held, drove through the Nyangue Rainforest. In three months I’ve seen the Sahel, the Sahara, and now a rainforest. Wow.

awesome bird watching in Rwanda!
  • Meeting Rwanda PCVs. This was the main reason I went to the conference. Up until the conference I had very little opportunity to interact with other PCVs, so it was great to make new friends.

  • Haircut. One of the other PCVs trimmed my hair, which was desperately needed and very much appreciated.   


The conference was divided into two segments. The first two days were strictly for the health volunteers who have now been in Rwanda for over a year: to discuss challenges and triumphs, and to brainstorm. The later part of the week was focused on HIV/AIDS and the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), and how PCVs might use PEPFAR funds in their communities to fight the devastating effects of HIV/AIDS.
Overall the week was an interesting learning experience for me. Turns out Peace Corps culture in Rwanda and Niger vary as much as the local culture (which, in case you’re wondering is a lot). BUT, na cibazo, babu lahi, no problem! I’m excited to bring a little bit of Niger to Rwanda, and soak in all the amazing opportunities Rwanda has to offer. 
I’ve been told the mid-service mark tends to be a difficult one for most volunteers. People realize they’re halfway through and often get frustrated or discouraged about how little they feel they have accomplished. I could definitely sense frustration in many of the volunteers, although from my point of view they were being way too hard on themselves. A lot of the things they said they were doing in their communities sounded incredible and have given me some inspiration and a lot to look forward to as well.

1 comment:

  1. Alma, your optimism and enthusiasm continue to amaze me. Can't wait to visit you, whenever that is!

    ReplyDelete