Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mac & Cheese


I think I’ve already mentioned how lucky I am in Rwanda because it is a country with cheese. Not just the Laughing-Cow stuff: real cheese. On my last trip into Butare I bought a half heel of gouda cheese and brought it home to make my own version of mac & cheese! 
I have decided to call the experiment a moderate success. Considering I cooked on a wood fire held up by rocks and had three Rwandan roommates rolling on the floor with laughter as I tried to strain pasta without a strainer, I’m giving myself a pat on the back.
In order to make this a nutritiously balanced diet I complimented my oily starches with green beans! I cooked them with carrots and onions and added what I feared might be too much salt and various other spices. I thought it was delicious. My roommate Grace looked like she was going to vomit when she tried them. Umunyu!!! She screamed as she grabbed the saltshaker. Rwandans love salt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment