Friday, March 9, 2012

Dada-wacu

At the beginning of February, my Uncle Peter came to visit Rwanda before taking me on an incredible safari in Tanzania. It was fantastic to show a family member (and Returned Peace Corps Volunteer) what my life is like right now, and to introduce my colleagues and neighbors to “another” member of my family (Ben, everyone asked about you!). 

Crossing the canopy at Nyungwe Forest
It was also fascinating to see Rwanda from a tourist’s perspective. After fourteen months, Rwanda has truly become home and I have become accustomed to just about everything (almost). Answering my uncle’s questions and observing what he found interesting was really fun and reminded me how lucky I am to be here.

In five short days we were able to cover most of the country: including Nyungwe Forest and Volcano National Park, which I’ll write about separately. My uncle was a really great sport and put up with the incredibly long drives on dirt roads magnificently. We even got to spend a couple hours at my site, where several of my older female colleagues giggled like kindergartners meeting Mickey Mouse at Disney World, and everyone insisted I teach my uncle Kinyarwanda because of course five days is enough to learn the entire language.

No comments:

Post a Comment