Thursday, March 22, 2012

Save the World: Take a vacation.

When people come for two or three week volunteer projects, they often don’t mention that in addition to a desire to help, there is a very strong desire to see.

The large number of NGOs  located in the most beautiful, touristic destinations should come as no surprise. Nor should you be surprised by the lack of NGOs work in places like Niger, where the need is great but the sites are few and the weather is tolerable only on the best of days. I’ve already written some thoughts about volunteer tourism, now I’d like to offer some thoughts on an alternative for those well intentioned humanitarian souls who want to see the world and also help: take a vacation.

There are incredible sights to see and fun things to do all over the continent. Through this blog, I hope I have been able to highlight (in addition to the difficulties) some of the wonders. I would argue you can help a developing country more by paying for a responsible and well researched vacation, than volunteering on a short well fundraised service trip.  

I have run into many "volunteers" around large African cities who have completed a humanitarian project and want to finish their trip with a nice vacation. Generally, these tourists lament on how little money they have left because of the airfare and volunteer ‘required donation’ costs they’ve already spent. Naturally, these groups take the cheapest options for their vacation. What these volunteer tourists don’t realize is that sometimes the companies or tour agents they go through are doing harm to the local population and natural resources they came to ‘save’.

Exhibit A-- While on safari, our group spotted a beautiful cheetah with four young cubs. The site was rather unusual: eight or so safari vehicles in the middle of the plain, with a mama cheetah and her cubs eating a recent kill under the shade of one of the vehicles. I chuckled at the site and then felt sorry for the people in the vehicle providing shade: they might have to stay through the hot afternoon if the cheetah didn’t move. Suddenly, the vehicle under which the cheetahs had sought shade started up. The cheetah and her cubs ran in terror, we gasped in disbelief.   

Safari cars approaching the cheetah
The irresponsibility displayed by the driver of the vehicle described surprised me and infuriated our safari guide, drivers, and many in the tourism industry who discussed the event over the following week. Several less dramatic but similar instances occur regularly in the Serengeti and other national parks across the continent, particularly where the national government does not enforce strict regulation.

As it was explained to me, several budget safari companies hire drivers and other workers with little to no experience, provide no training or benefits, and then set them loose. These budget safaris get too close to animals, impede natural activities needed for survival (such as hunting), and generally do not respect the environment they are in. They take their guests to tourist shops where the “handmade crafts” are made in China.

Here I would argue: if you do your research you can help a lot. There are many safari companies, guest camps, and lodges that, for a higher cost, can do a great amount of good. Reputable companies offer great training, jobs, and experience for lots of people. These jobs are *magic development word alert* sustainable. The local population is involved in serious income generating, and receive valuable, and relevant training in skills that are transferable—all without a paternalistic Western donor. The clients involved involved are paying real money for real services. Handouts are not involved: just simple business. 

I will be the first to admit (again) that I have been and in many ways, still am, a volunteer tourist, albeit my stay is longer. I must also confess that in the past I have always opted for the cheaper route, and would have probably done so again if it were not for my family’s generosity. I have now started to do research on tourism for future trips I am planning.

I have already conceded that my experiences as a Peace Corps Volunteer have turned me into a firm supporter of the free-market and capitalism; they might be turning into a Republican, although now I’m thinking more along the lines of a Libertarian. It’s possible that I am also becoming a cynic.This post is not meant to dissuade anyone from volunteering anywhere (particularly if you have a valuable skill to contribute), but I do hope to provide some food for thought before you start fundraising to build a schoolhouse in Guatemala.

I will conclude this blog by reminding you about my disclaimers, located on the upper right hand side of this blog. Also keep in mind that I did no research to write this note; that I am not a development expert; that I have never worked professionally in the hospitality industry (or any industry). You are free to scoff at these ramblings, and know, that you probably know better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment