Friday, March 9, 2012

Nyungwe National Forest

Nyungwe Forest is the largest mountain rain forest in Africa, located in the southwest corner of Rwanda. It stands almost 3000 meters above sea level at its highest pointand is home to 360 different plant and flower species; 270 different types of birds; and lots of different animal species, including all sorts of monkeys and chimpanzees.

Blue Monkey

The first time I saw Nyungwe Forest was about a month after arriving in Rwanda. I drove through the forest on my way to the western city Cyangugu, where I attended a Peace Corps conference. Having trekked through the Sahara desert by camel in Morocco less than a month before, the green blew me away last March. It was interesting to return now, almost a year later, and realize how familiar I have become with the breathtakingly beautiful scenery that covers Rwanda.

My uncle Peter and I arrived at the park around 10am, way too late to do any good bird watching or catch the monkeys and chimpanzees. Still, we arranged to hike our way through part of the forest to the recently built canopy. 

Crossing the canopy bridge with our guide
Right before stepping onto the canopy our guide pointed out a monkey hanging in the tree. After a few seconds, we realized there was in fact a big group of blue monkeys gathered around! We observed them eating small fruits, jumping lengths of what seemed to me at least 30 feet, and making all sorts of silly sounds to get each other’s attention.

We proceeded to walk across the canopy, which is broken into three sections and crosses about 75 meters. In the land of 1,000 hills, I often daydream about the conveniences of having bridges that connect one hilltop to another. These could turn an hour long trip into a ten minute walk:  if only I didn’t have to walk half a mile around the valley that separates one hill from another! I always dread hearing a Rwandan tell me we’re taking the “shortcut” because I know it means instead of going around the valley, on the hilltops, we’re going to walk directly down this hill and up the next. 

Well, I can now safely say that I’ve lived this daydream and I won’t have it again. The views were spectacular and I’m very glad I did it: but I also realized that I am developing a fear of heights.

While walking across the canopy and hanging onto the metal ropes for dear life, I was able to take in spectacular views and catch a peak of the most beautiful bird I think I’ve ever seen: the purple chested sunbird. I’ve always thought bird watching was silly, but after admiring several different birds in Rwanda I think I’ve joined the cult.
Purple Chested Sunbird

The Rwandan government has done, and continues to do, a lot to try and conserve, preserve, and expand its national forests. This is evident in Nyungwe, which is extremely well kept and truly a pleasure to walk and drive through.

No comments:

Post a Comment