Saturday, February 12, 2011

American Ambassadors on a Moroccan Train


During Peace Corps training, we were often reminded that as PCVs we are “American Ambassadors to host communities”. Most people in PCV host communities have never met an American, so your conduct is how America and American people will forever be engraved in their mind… or something like that.
In Niger, this didn’t bother me. Almost all the Nigeriens I met told me how much they loved America. (I sat on a bus once where, after my nationality was established, the man on my right told me he loved Obama and the man on my left told me he loved Bush, I kid you not).
In Morocco, however, the situation is a little bit different.
My friend Alison and I began our epic journey around Morocco on a bus from Rabat to Fes. We sat in a 6-person cabin, the only women there (common trend in Morocco for us). Soon after our journey began, one of the men on the train asked us in English where we were from. We began talking and when it came up we were Peace Corps Volunteers he asked us what that meant.
For me, it was a proud moment. Alison and I explained the three goals of Peace Corps and told him a little bit about Niger. All three men in the train car seemed impressed, and the man we had been talking to thanked us on behalf of the Moroccan people and wished us the best of luck. Go Team America!
Shortly after he left, one of the other young men who had been listening to our conversation asked me timidly if I spoke French. We began some small talk and when I mentioned I studied political science he enthusiastically said “Oh! You’re a politician!” I tried to correct him but he had made up his mind.
“So tell me, since you are a politician, what does the White House and what do the American people think about Arab countries, and Muslims in general?”
Woha. Suddenly all the pride I felt minutes earlier was gone.  My heart shrank as I thought about the discussions in America over the mosque near ground zero; the negative discussions on talk show programs about Muslims in the US; and some of the comments people at home had made to me when they heard I was moving to a Muslim country.

“That’s a very difficult question” I responded diplomatically. Then, I told my new friend on the train to Fes as much truth as I could muster: I don’t think most Americans know enough about Muslim people, culture, or countries. I have experienced nothing but kindness from Muslims in Niger and in Morocco, and I will tell all my American friends about it, and encourage them to learn more too. 
My fantastic travel companion, Alison & me

2 comments:

  1. Alma, this is such an amazing conversation!! You know, it reminded me of when we were on the train from Avignon back to San Sebastian and the french guy was so eager to talk to you, you a people-magnet and of the best kind! Your generosity and open mindedness is obvious to anyone you cross paths with and I am just having a flashbulb moment as i think you should write down all the conversations you've had with strangers as you've travelled!! But now I really want to read and learn more about Arab cultures and all of Africa's geography since i think it's about time i have an accurate image of where you are and what countries are bordering you. But really, beautiful post.... besos

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHAHHAHAHAHHAHA DANIELAAAAA
    GET SERIOUS

    ReplyDelete