Monday, February 28, 2011

Peace Corps Training, Round Two

My first month in Rwanda has been spent in training. Worldwide, training is generally between 9 and 11 weeks for all PCVs. During training you focus on language, technical skills, safety & security, cultural issues, and Peace Corps development philosophy. Since I already completed this training in Niger, Peace Corps Rwanda created a modified, high-speed training schedule for the other Niger PCVs and me that focuses almost exclusively on language.

To be honest, I am finding training the second time around exhausting and pretty difficult. When I left in October, I had mentally prepared myself for two years of independence in a remote African village. Instead I had three months of incredibly structured life surrounded by forty other Americans. I made some lifelong friendships during training and learned a lot, but when I left for Zinder I was really excited about finally having some independence. Instead I had eight days on my own, a month of craziness, and now I’m back in training.

Did I ever say learning Hausa was hard? It wasn’t. Kinyarwanda is hard. If I hadn’t just spent three months trying to learn a different language, and if I weren’t under so much pressure to learn Kinyarwanda as quickly as possible, I’m pretty sure I would find it really fun. I do love learning languages; I love the subtle differences in pronunciation, the mannerisms, and the un-translatable sayings... Learning languages makes your brain think in different ways, it teaches you about other cultures and other ways of life.

Learning another language takes time. A lot of time. A lot longer than one month. Particularly when the language you are trying to learn has 16 different noun classes. (No joke—there are 16 different ways to form a descriptive adjective or a verb depending on the noun that proceeds it. The words are long.). I know this, but I can’t help but get frustrated with myself. It’s been almost a month and I can barely get past greetings.

I do, however, consider myself incredibly lucky to be surrounded by three other amazing Niger PCVs, a good (although pretty tough) language instructor, and a great Training Manager. I am living with a fabulous host family, I have electricity, and I can buy 5 passion fruits or 3 avocados for 20¢ anytime of day. Now if I can just remember the word for passion fruit in Kinyarwanda… 

No comments:

Post a Comment