Saturday, February 12, 2011

Places I went in Morocco


·   Rabat: the capital of Morocco. Walking along the coast I was able to see the ancient city walls, which was really cool. In Europe you often see partial city walls, but from the coast it really looked like the whole city was still being protected from the sea. The Mausoleum was also really beautiful.
·   Fes, the city of leather making! The medina/market area is one of the largest in the world. Thanks to it, I now own a leather purse…and shoes, but I was able to resist the wallet.
·   The Saharan Desert. Wow. That’s all I can say. The pictures capture about 30% of it.
·   Mid-Atlas and High Atlas Mountains. We took the scenic route from Fes to Marrakesh and traveled through the Atlas Mountains with the assistance of the ever so patient and kind Haj. Along the way we saw monkeys, lakes, mountains, gorges, and ancient Moroccan towns…oh my!
Best part of Marrakech: CRISTINA! 
·   Marrakech. Marrakesh is a magical city. It’s also an incredibly aggressive one. The best part about it was that Cristina met me there! It was absolutely wonderful to see her, and although we missed Daniela and Alex a lot, the two of us had a great time drinking mint tea, dogging the aggressive vendors, and trying to bargain for scarves.
·   Agadir was a welcomed break from Marrakesh, although the city seemed a little bit out of place given all my other recent traveling. The beach area was completely run by touristy restaurants and shops, and European retirement communities.
·   Essaouria was a lot like Agadir, minus the European retirement communities and the people that tend to frequent them… so it was awesome. An incredibly relaxed atmosphere, and on our last day there Alison and I found an incredible terrace café to sit and watch the sun set on the water.
Essaouria

 

1 comment:

  1. Woohooo that was such a great trip! Thanks for the shout out, I LOVE YOUUUU

    ReplyDelete