Saturday, February 12, 2011

Things I did not do in Morocco


·   Learn Arabic: although I repeated shokran! (thank you!) many, many times. Thanks Uncle O, shout out to the Piatto crew!
My favorite picture from the trip: Riding camels across the Sahara
·   Capture the beauty of Morocco in pictures. I tried, and having a good camera helped (thanks Uncle Peter & Aunt Widgie!) ... but it's an impossible thing to do.
·   Go into a mosque. Non-Muslims are prohibited to enter almost most Mosques in Morocco, but I certainly admired their beauty from outside.
·   Figure out how to deal with all the men on the streets who wanted to “welcome” me, and “practice English”.  Various techniques of evasion were attempted.
·   Try the snail soup. I looked at it, I thought about it, and I passed.
·   Visit a Morocco PCV. This would have been really cool…but didn’t happen. Hopefully any traveling I do post-Morocco will be more planned and I can arrange for this to happen in other Peace Corps countries.
·   Play with kids. Before Niger, kids made me feel uncomfortable, and babies scared me. In Morocco, I found myself missing them.
·   See the Mediterranean Coast. Another trip, another time…the Atlantic Coast was beautiful though.
·   Find the Saharan Desert stars more impressive than the ones in Niger.  Now I sound like a snob, but all I’m trying to say is that in Niger, the stars are astounding.

No comments:

Post a Comment