Monday, February 28, 2011

Those T-Shirts You Donated to Salvation Army: They’re in Rwanda

You would never guess Gap and Old Navy don’t actually have locations in Rwanda. On any given market day, you will find rows and rows of vendors who have enormous piles of clothing for sale. I’m not exactly sure how all the clothes end up in Rwandan markets, but the scene is any thrift shopper’s dream come true.   
I find myself doing double takes all the day as I walk down the street in Rwanda, below are some of the hilarious things I’ve seen people wearing:
·   Older woman wearing a t-shirt that on the front said: “YES, I am…” and the back: “A JESUS FREAK”
·   “Country Boy” with the John Deere logo
·   “I support the draft” (image of a draft beer in the middle)
·   “HOOTERS, Skokhalm, WA”
·   “DIVA” (in sequence letters, on a black t-shirt, worn by a 20-something year old man)
·   “Girl Scouts Chicago”
·   Nick Carter (images of the 1999 pop-icon all over the t-shirt, worn by a 50 year old man)
·   “CHRIST made me a winner” (seen on a young man at a bar)
·   “MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, Fort Bliss, TX”

And of course, my favorite so far… an Ithaca is Gorges t-shirt!

2 comments:

  1. ahahaha if you see one of those jesus shirts at the market, please get it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no way, you found an Ithaca is Gorges shirt. you gave that shirt for her to wear...... 0_o

    ReplyDelete