Saturday, February 12, 2011

Things I did in Morocco


·   Rode a camel across the Saharan Desert. Full disclosure: I paid to be able to do this, like every other western tourist, but it was worth every penny. Riding the camel it was a bit (very) painful, but the sunrise in the Sahara is like nothing I’ve ever seen.
·   Tried to Bargain. I’d like to think I did ok, but I have a feeling the vendors who sold me things would say otherwise.
·   Got Hustled. Especially in Marrakech. Those vendors are aggressive.
Breakfast of Melwi, coffee, and fresh OJ... bliss!
·   Ate Everything in Site. Of course I found the fried dough within hours of leaving Rabat, so I was happy. Reintegrating fruits and vegetables into my diet was also amazing. Alison and I also developed a rather unhealthy obsession with melwi avec miel (kind of like crepes, only more delicious) during our travels.
·   Ran into two other evacuated Niger PCVs in Essouaria! It’s a small world after all.
·   Walked on the beach, and laid, and read, and ate, and spent as much time on the beach as possible on the beach.
·   Got lost in every city I went. Mostly on purpose, a couple times not so much. Wandering around through the tiny streets of Morocco’s medinas is a lot of fun though.
·   Saw snow in Africa. Did not expect that to happen when I packed for Peace Corps…  
·   Appreciated running water and other amenities not available in Niger. Functioning toilets: I love you.
·   Had a kid tell me to “donne moi un cadeau”. This phrase, which means “give me a present” in French, was every child in Niger’s favorite thing to say… apparently kids in Morocco got the memo too.

No comments:

Post a Comment