Thursday, October 4, 2012

E is for ENGLISH

I thought about making this post about Peace Corps Volunteers and the merits of speaking English at post (helping colleagues improve their English) versus learning the local language (reaching even more people, including the uneducated)… but it’s an exhausting topic that every PCV and host country national seems to have a strong opinion on. I think there are merits to both sides of the argument. I have been reprimanded, on more than one occasion, by Rwandans and PCVs alike, for not speaking enough English, and later, for speaking too much Kinyarwanda. Both types of comments are upsetting, particularly when I haven't made up my mind on which approach is best.

So, instead I just want to grace you with a few of my favorite examples of Rwandan-English. 






No comments:

Post a Comment