Monday, October 1, 2012

B is for BABY

Meet Baby, my delightful neighbor. Baby is the third child of my neighbor Assumpta, a nurse at the hospital who recently opened a small shop in town. Baby’s real name is Ingrid (her older sister is Igette and her older brother Ig), but in the year and a half I’ve lived next to her, I’ve only ever heard people call her Baby.

I really don’t have words for the love I feel for Baby. When I first moved in, Baby was just a baby. She could barely crawl and spent most of her time wrapped in a cloth on her mother’s back. Today she is an energetic toddler who runs up and down the small sidewalk that connects my house to hers: squealing, laughing, and proudly chanting the few words she’s just started speaking.

I take back anything negative I ever said about studying child development—it’s fascinating. Each month Baby seems to take on a new personality. From shy dependant infant to curious and active toddler, she never ceases to amaze me.

In the evenings, when I come home exhausted from a long day of work, Baby acts like a ray of warm sunlight, replacing the real sun that’s already disappeared behind the hills, leaving my house cold. She runs towards me, arms stretched out, sometimes squealing, sometimes just smiling. Then, she generally proceeds to parade around my house, which I am sure she does just to show off. If there are other children around, she taunts them as she walks through the door, knowing she’s the only kid I will allow inside. After inspecting my quarters, Baby attempts to help me with my dishes, inevitably ending up soaked in water. Next, she follows me around while I cook. By the time the fire is ready, I gently nudge her back to her home, at which point she cries hysterically. 

In a country where warm affection is rarely shown, I feel a mix of pain and happiness when I hear the Baby crying because we’re parting for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment