Tuesday, October 9, 2012

J is for JOGGING

Despite what Christopher McDougal says in his book Born to Run, I don’t think my body was built for running. But, over the last few months, slowly by slowly, in an effort to get rid of the extra pounds put on by eating copious amounts of Blue-Band (an addicting butter-substitute simply labeled “medium fat content”, that I am sure will someday cause unexplainable chemical imbalances and illnesses to my body), I have started jogging.

In urban areas across Rwanda, there seems to be a running trend that is picking up. A few times I’ve gone running in the capital city and noticed fellow Rwandan-runners wave to me, just like in suburban America. This is not true in the rural area where I live. To minimize the circus and fan club created by my feeble attempts to exercise, I begin my morning runs at 5:15 AM. In the land of a thousand hills, my runs are no easy lap around the track (but let's be honest, a lap around the track has never been easy for me).

What keeps me motivated, besides constant comments by colleagues about my weight, is the breathtaking sunrise I get to watch as I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment