Wednesday, October 17, 2012

S is for SHORTWAVE RADIO

my trusty radio

This post could also be titled ‘Alma loves BBC World Service’.

I spend what sometimes seems like hours searching the shortwaves to pick up something I understand. Every once in a while, I come across Radio National Espanola, which is always a treat. But more often than not, I listen to BBC.

I feel a very special connection to the World Briefing and Focus on Africa broadcasters who I listen to religiously. Living by myself, I’ve almost come to think of Marion Marshall and Harriet Gilbert as friends. After a long day of work, I come home, turn on the radio and ask, “how was the day today?”... and they tell me!

Saturday mornings in village are particularly lovely because I sleep in (7:30AM), heat some water for coffee, maybe make biscuits, and listen to the BBC. Later, I’ll spend some time cleaning the house, all while listening to lovely British voices telling me about the world. Besides the news, shows like The Strand and Witness are particularly interesting. 


My absolute favorite is From Our Own Correspondent. This show features small stories from the BBC correspondents around the world. Subjects range from summer camps in the US to beggars in the DRC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment